Fulbright to India Guide – 2021-2022


Fulbright grants are generally subject to U.S. income taxes.

Neither, USIEF, CIES, nor the U.S. Department of State is required to issue a Form 1099 or Form W2, nor to withhold taxes from grant payments.

The Fulbright grant terms and conditions you signed before starting your grant outline the funds you will receive during your grant period. Bank account statements will reflect the amounts deposited in a given tax year (January 1 through December 31).

The IRS Web site contains a section specifically on tax filing for Fulbright Grantees.

 You may also wish to consult the International Division of the IRS by phone at: 267-941-1000. Also see IRS publications, including No. 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad and No. 970, Tax Benefits for Education.

 USIEF staff members are not permitted to give tax advice. If you are uncertain about your tax obligation, we encourage you to contact the IRS directly or speak with a tax professional.

Useful tax tips by alumni:

Before filing taxes, you can request USIEF for payment details during your Fulbright grant duration. Also the consolidated payment schedule which is emailed before your grant start date can be used for filing your tax returns.

If you are in India during the tax filing time of April 15th, you can file for an extension. A good amount of tax information can be received electronically (e.g. W2 statements, tax information related to student loans). A good tip as shared by a couple of Fulbrighters is making the preparations before your departure to India by scanning and taking photos and saving the required information on your laptop. You can even file them in India by online using apps like Turbotax.

Contact us

12 Hailey Road New Delhi 110 001

Tel.: +91-11-4209-0909/2332-8944